Did he, or didn’t he? That is the question many are asking about former Vice President Mike Pence. Is he formally running for the presidency in 2024 or is he not running?
Apparently, Mike Pence did not file to run for the office of president in 2024, even though it was reported that he did.
Devin O’Malley, a spokesperson for Pence, quickly snuffed out the early chatter about Pence running that came from a Statement of Candidacy form submitted to the Federal Election Commission in Pence’s name on Monday.
The filing also listed a “Mike Pence for President” campaign committee with an address at a post office box in Anderson, Indiana, northeast of Indianapolis.
“Former Vice President Mike Pence did not file to run for President today,” O’Malley said when a reporter tweeted that Pence had entered the race. The denial could not have come any faster, but some media outlets went ahead and published stories announcing that the former vice president had filed with the FEC.
“Someone filed a Pence filing. But it wasn’t Pence, his spokesman says, suggesting it was a prank,” according to a tweet by Maggie Haberman, a New York Times reporter.
Aside from what appears to be a weird stunt by somebody, Pence did say last month that he was giving “prayerful consideration” to a 2024 run for the office.
If he does in fact run, it will set up a massive clash between himself and his former boss, Donald Trump. He has declared his intention to run for the third time for the White House.
Pence served as vice president for four years and ended his role by saying that Trump acted “recklessly” on the day of the Capitol riot. Before that, Pence served as governor of Indiana and a member of the House of Representatives.
The whole idea of this being a prank is wacky; there’s got to be more to this story.